Week 2 for Travelin'Oma's school. Here's today's assignment.
We counseled our daughters: there are two qualities to look for in a potential husband. One, that he adores you and thinks you are too good for him, and two, that he is a hard worker. When we were at an activity and the cleanup process started, my husband would point to all the young men who were helping without being asked, and told whichever daughter was at hand that any of those boys were husband candidates. The boys who continued to play around or had to be coerced to help were not possibilities.
Lucky me, my husband fills both of those qualifications, without a doubt. I’m not sure he got so lucky. I certainly pass the adoration test, but quite frankly I am innately lazy. As a consequence, I have to work hard at being a hard worker. I sincerely believe that in life hard work is the only thing that gets you through some of the tough times. I think that the ability to power through and get the job done breeds success—on many levels. We need to work hard, not just on the physical side of life, but also the intellectual and spiritual sides.
I’ve tried hard to overcome my laziness. Most of the time I hide it pretty well, but deep down I know it’s lurking, just waiting to burst forth. In the meantime I savor every time my husband says to me, “Wow, you are amazing. You are such a hard worker.”
I followed you over from Oma's blog. Hope you don't mind :) I loved this post! And the counsel that you gave to your daughters is spot on. Happy Labor Day.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter brought a new guy home to dinner, and he jumped up to clear the table, and then loaded the dishwasher! I said, MARRY HIM!!! She did. He still does the dishes while I sit and chat . . . and chat . . . I'm hardly working while he works hard. Thanks for an insightful post.
ReplyDelete