This was a great assignment from Travelin'Oma for me to do today.
I found out some hard news yesterday. I thought I handled it pretty well, matter-of-fact, and calm. But the truth often comes out for me in the wee small hours of the morning when I can’t sleep. So at five in the morning when I still couldn’t get back to sleep, I wandered downstairs to see if perhaps my schoolwork assignment for today was available yet. I thought it might help divert my thoughts, and I would have some quiet time to think about the assignment.
Make a list of ten little things that improved your happiness today.
What could be a more inspired assignment? Thanks, Oma. I needed this. So at 5:15 a.m., my thoughts have indeed been diverted, and I will look for the small delights all day that will lift my spirits.
4:45 p.m. Here are ten little things that didn’t seem so little, that improved my happiness today.
1. I went to an institute class, and the opening hymn happened to be one of my favorite hymns. The words gave me particular comfort today. Almost as if I were reading them for the first time.
2. I went hunting for a particular fabric that I needed, and found it!
3. I paid for a purchase using a $2 bill I was trying to get rid of. The cashier said, “Oh! I’ll have to buy this. I give them to my grandchildren.”
4. Another store employee smiled at me and said, “I hope you have a wonderful day.”
5. Matthew came and sat on my lap, putting his warm two- year-old back up against me, and hooked his feet around my legs.
6. Austin found the red whistle he wanted in my drawer. Then he went outside and blew it over and over again. He was so delighted!
7. Austin brought me a bottle of water and some fruit snacks while I was sewing. “G’ma, I will bring you strawberry snacks. You will love them!”
8. I bought some things for my upcoming trip. The anticipation is building!
9. I found an old picture of my mom that I was looking for. In the very first place I looked!
10. I arrived home from running errands, came down to my computer, and there was a note from Audrey (written and left there at 5:30 a.m. – we just barely missed each other). Here’s what it said:
Mom—
I can tell you are worried about something right now and I want you to know that I have been praying for you. Let me know if there’s anything I can do to make your life easier.
I love you,
Audrey
Who needs more than that to improve their happiness? Not me.
PS – I guess I wasn’t as calm and unruffled as I thought…
I love reading your assignments. You are wonderful. Whatever your angst - you are loved in Fairfield.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your response! It was, in turn, a blessing for me to feel like I did a tiny bit of good in the world today. I hope you sleep better tonight.
ReplyDeleteI can totally see Audrey doing that. She is so sweet and thoughtful.
ReplyDeleteI loved your list. It's crazy how when we specifically look for the good things we will find them.
what a wonderful list!
ReplyDelete~a fellow "classmate"