More homework from Travelin'Oma. This one is late (due yesterday) so I'm still hoping for partial credit. :)
(My hometown has changed so much since I left, that I don’t know if what I would recommend for people to see would still be there – so I’m going to pretend it is still mostly like it was when I left 34 years ago.)
Port Hueneme (pronounced why-nee-mee), California is a very small town. The biggest thing it has going for it is that it is the location of the Pacific Seabee Base, a branch of the navy that is a mobile construction battalion. It is also a natural deep sea port. Port Hueneme is about a ten minute drive from end to end, so there are just a few things to see, and if you don’t look sharp you’ll miss it all.
If you want to eat while you are there, I recommend Foster’s Freeze. Their fries are excellent, and they make a great burger. In fact, it is the first place I ever ate a hamburger that had more than catsup and mustard on it. They are known for their soft-serve ice cream cones, and you can get one dipped in chocolate – the kind that hardens around the outside of the ice cream, and chips off as you try to eat it. If you don’t feel like an ice cream, just across the parking lot is Terry’s donuts. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a better donut than at Terry’s. If you prefer fresh seafood, you can go down to the wharf and buy it fresh off the boats there. You might be able to pick up some swordfish, or even a lobster or two.
Hueneme has beach that is unusual because it is located on a curve of land so that the beach runs from east to west instead of north to south. You can do some surfing there, as well as body surfing or just playing in the water. There is a pier you can walk out on and just enjoy the weather and being near the ocean. Because it is the Pacific Ocean, the water is not very warm most of the year. Occasionally by August it gets pretty warm, but then you have to watch out for all the jelly-fish. If the grunion are running, make sure you do that one night.
The locals are very friendly. Ask them what they like, and they can point you in that direction. Good luck!
i have to say i love all your updates! i'm glad you are doing all of your assignments. i will be sad when the class ends! or is it a perpetual thing?
ReplyDeleteport hueneme (did i get that right?) is one of my all-time favorite places ever. lots of good memories.