Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Whew! This is another fasten-your-seatbelt, hold-on-to-your-hat book - just like The Hunger Games. Collins gets five stars for her storytelling. Both of these books had me dreaming about them at night as I was reading them.

I do have two negatives on the book. One is that because I had to wait so long for the sequel, I had forgotten some things. Collins did not do a great job of filling in some of that information. If I'd reread The Hunger Games, I would have been fine. But I didn't have time to do that. There are other books out there I want to get read. Lots of writers manage to fill in just enough details on sequels to keep us refreshed on the previous book(s).

Spoiler alert: don't read farther if you haven't read this book yet.

I give Collins one star for leaving me hanging again. If she does it again on the next book, I'm done with the series. A book can feel complete and still manage to make you want to wait in line at midnight for the sequel. (Harry Potter and the Twilight series come to mind).

Thursday addendum - I just read that this is a trilogy. That makes it just a tiny bit better. I was ready to be upset about it dragging on and on. Now I won't have to be...

3 comments:

  1. I second that! It was a fun and exciting read, but I wasn't thrilled with the ending--it left me hanging more than I am comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't read the spoiler part, but i need to borrow this from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just finished today. loren's reading it right now. i told him to watch out--he won't be able to put it down, and the ending the zero closure. i have to admit that the 2 books are on my all-time favorite list, though, even with the abrupt endings.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!