Sunday, September 20, 2009

Grace (Eventually) Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott

I can't think of another person who is more different than I am than Anne Lamott. She's very liberal, I'm not. She uses the word I hate most in the world. I do not. Although she no longer uses drugs or alcohol, in her past she freely used them, and let's just put it this way: she was pretty free in her relationships with men. I do not have a past like that. She was a single parent by choice. I chose the more traditional route of marriage and family.

However, we obviously have some molecule of similarity, because I am drawn to her books. Her writing is exquisite. Her use of description and vocabulary bring everything to life for me. I feel as though I have been through her hard times and sat and observed in her home and church. Sometimes when she describes her thoughts and feelings, I think, "That could be me." I feel that way about her fiction as well.

This book is not fiction. It is her thoughts on faith. There is something about learning about other peoples' journey to and through faith that is fascinating to me, even though, or perhaps because, they do not practice the same religion as I do. I think it helps me to realize that faith in and of itself transcends religion. Faith is available to all who desire it, and can govern each of us in such as way as to make each of us a better person in our own way and in our own sphere of life and influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!