I love these assignments from Travelin'Oma where I remember books I've read.
What is it that draws me to books about World War II? I wonder if it is the fascination with how people who lived through the war survived it. Did they handle it with grace, did they plug along, living day to day? Was it hard never knowing when it would all end? Would I be one who hung on, and did all I could to get through? Would I have looked at the worth of others, and risked my own life to save them, like so many did with the Jews? Do I have the inner strength to do what so many people did, or would I give up? Maybe by reading all these stories and accounts I hope I can somehow glean some of the survival characteristics I would need in time of war, and then those same qualities can help me live better day to day in the world I am in right now.
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry.
Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy.
The Diary of Anne Frank
Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata
Good Night, Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian
Adult:
Corelli’s Mandolin by Louis de Berniere
QB VII by Leon Uris
Mila 18 by Leon Uris
Armageddon by Leon Uris
The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins
No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin – this is about FDR, and most of it is during WWII.
While Still We Live by Helen MacInnes
And There Was Light by Jacques Lusseyran (a French blind man who helped the resistance—autobiography)
The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher
Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
The Winds of War by Herman Wouk
War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
we read "escape from warsaw" in 6th grade. i remember liking it.
ReplyDeleteI was trying to remember the title of Number the Stars last night. I'm so glad you mentioned it. Thanks for your suggestions.
ReplyDelete