Thursday, September 3, 2009

Conversation

I just love having these conversations with my grandchildren. Audrey, Matthew, and Elizabeth are asleep. It's just me and Austin. Here is how it went:

Austin said, "G'ma, I need some lip stuff. My lips are dry and bleeding."

I examine his lips. They are dry. Not bleeding. I think to myself - I don't really want to go all the way upstairs to get the lip stuff. I tell him to go look in the drawer in the kitchen and get the lip stuff by himself.

He just came downstairs with his hands holding the outside of his pants pocket. He says, "G'ma, I have something for tomorrow. A treat for tomorrow."

I'm instantly suspicious. I smile beguilingly and say, "Show me!
From inside his pants (not his pocket) he pulls out a popsicle. "It's for tomorrow," he says. He slides it back down in his pants.

I very carefully refrain from laughing. Instead I say, "It won't be very good by tomorrow." Then when his face falls, I say, "so, you'd better eat it right now."

Isn't that what it means to be a grandma?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!