I should have mentioned that this is exam week for Travelin’Oma’s writing seminar. Monday’s assignments have been Write Away. Tuesday’s have been Travel Studies – so here’s the final exam for today.
Travel questions:
1. My travel style is to get away from it all. For me that means someplace relaxing, usually with sun (my recent cruise being the exception). I love to travel with my husband, and having friends along really makes a trip great.
2. and 3. The older I get, and the more I travel, I find I can bring fewer clothes. This last trip Ray and I brought one suitcase each. We were able to pack for a week on a cruise, and that included two formal nights. Even when I thought I was cutting back on what I brought, there were clothes I took that I didn’t wear.
4. I read this question two different ways, and I will answer it two different ways. Given the following choices, where would I prefer to travel:
~ Alaska or Tahiti
~ India or China
~ Kenya or Greenland
If you look at this question as A, B, or C, I would choose A. Alaska or Tahiti. I’ve been to both and really enjoyed them. I’m not a high adventure traveler, so these would fit me well.
If you look at the question as choosing between the two in each instance, here’s how I would pick:
~ Tahiti
~China
~ Kenya
5. I like a comfortable hotel, but don’t require a lot. I like it clean, with a comfortable bed. The next requirement is a nice shower. Of course, if given the opportunity, and if I had all the money in the world, I would choose a luxury hotel. Two favorites that I’ve enjoyed: The Salish Lodge in Snoqualmie, Washington, and The Hotel du Rhone in Geneva Switzerland.
6. My food preferences on a holiday are simple. I don’t want to eat really weird stuff, and food is not where I like to throw a lot of money. When we were in Europe, we bought food at the local market and ate that for breakfast and in the evening. We ate a good lunch at a restaurant later in the afternoon, and that worked well.
7. Where I go determines how I travel on a holiday. On a cruise we do a lot of walking in port, or hire cars to take us where we want to go. In Hawaii we either borrow my sister’s car, or rent a car. When we were in Washington DC we used public transportation.
8. and 10. My dream vacation would include a beach that has shade as well as sun, and a pile of books to work my way through while I relaxed near the water. I would occasionally get in and swim to cool off.
9. If I were to be hiking with my friends, it would be an easy hike. Hiking is not really my choice of a fun thing to do.
11. I love amusement parks! I love the “throw-up rides”. Give me a roller coaster and let me scream my heart out any day. I should say I love the rides part of amusement parks. I do not love crowds at all.
12. The only way I would go bungee jumping would be if I were blindfolded and someone pushed me off. I do not like heights at all.
13. When I go camping I like to make my food ahead to bring, then just warm it up when it’s meal time. I like simple meals, but they need to be filling.
14. My favorite memory of road trips with my kids was listening to books on tape. We made several trips without my husband, and the books kept me awake while driving. The one book we listened to each trip was Cheaper by the Dozen, which my children can still quote lines from. We laughed and giggled while listening to that book. We listened to other books also, but that was always the favorite.
15. If I were in Washington DC for a long weekend, I would be torn as to what to do. I would probably spend a day at the Lincoln/Vietnam, etc. Memorials, and the rest of the time at the Smithsonian museums.
Here’s our family story about the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. We went there in 2001 as a family, and my in-laws came too. The kids were 20, 18, 15, and 13. We decided to split up to look at the museum. My husband and son (15) went together, my in-laws took off, and the girls and I decided to explore together. We made plans to meet for lunch in a few hours. Lunchtime arrived and we met as planned. The girls and I were done and ready to hit the art museums. My in-laws were about halfway through. Ray and Ray had never left the first room they entered. Needless to say we split up for the afternoon.
Speaking of Washington DC, that’s where I decided to plan a trip for our assignment. I set the timer and got to work. Hotels were my biggest worry. I don’t have to stay right in the middle of the big tourist area, but I do want to be close to the metro. From our brief stay in DC before, we found the metro to be a wonderful solution for getting around easily. I found a hotel very reasonably priced, only one block from the metro, and close to Capitol Hill that had very high ratings. I found a flight that was convenient on both ends, and was non-stop, which I prefer if the cost is pretty close. I hate sitting around in airports when you could be at your destination, or at home, instead.
To make the best plans for a trip I like more time. I like to savor the planning as well as the trip. I love to be able to go at a moment’s notice, but the best trips are planned in advance, with lots of dream time. I also like to talk to those who have been there many times or who live there to get their input. It’s good to stay in safe areas, with good access to the city’s attractions. I also like to get restaurant recommendations.
As I was reading your bungee jumping comment I got a pit in my stomach and all nervous. Thinking about bungee jumping just made me feel so noxious... and now sitting here I'm thinking "Bre you've been sky diving." What in the world was I thinking!!!!
ReplyDeleteI like the thought of you planning a trip to DC...
ReplyDeleteI love your suggestion of Cheaper by the Dozen. We used to listen to a tape of Bill Cosby doing "Noah."
ReplyDelete