Friday, November 27, 2009

It's a movie and I'll cry if I want to

The first time it happened I never saw it coming.
Ray and I rode our bikes to the budget movie on campus (remember those?) for a date. They were showing It's a Wonderful Life, and I had never seen it. It started at the scene where Jimmy Stewart is wandering around town seeing what life would have been like had he never lived. He runs into his wife Mary, who of course does not recognize him. Huge, wrenching sobs came out of me. I could not stop crying no matter how hard I tried. I cried until the end of the movie, and I cried all the way home on my bike. This was not a calm, quiet, dignified weeping. No, it was embarrassingly loud, out of control sobbing. When we arrived at my apartment, my roommates thought someone had died. There was absolutely no accounting for my hysterical reaction to the movie.

The next time it happened was in 1994. We went to see Forrest Gump with several couple friends.
It started toward the end of the movie, when Forrest is standing in the cemetery. I felt it coming. I told Ray, “I’ve got to get out of here FAST.” I think he thought I was nuts. I practically ran out of the building, to the car, where I cried and cried, trying desperately to stop before everyone else came out. I must have looked a wreck, and I’m sure people must have thought I was nuts to lose it so bad.

The third time was in 1996. We were in Portland, and went to see Up Close and Personal .
The television close-up on his boots at the end did me in. We were with another couple, so I ran out in the hall, and tried to find a secluded place – without much luck.

Wednesday night was the most recent happening. We went to see The Blind Side.
I cried through parts of the movie in a respectable manner (just so everyone knows, it is a sweet movie, and no one else will react like I did). But at the end, I felt the wave of emotion coming. I squeezed Ray’s hand and said “Let’s get out of here!” I was barely managing to hold it together, so he didn’t really catch on. I tried to go out a back door, but he insisted on going all the way to the front. I’m sure he was wondering why I was almost at a run. Unfortunately, he had dropped me off, so I had to wait for him to know where the car was. Once in the car, it all came out.

I cry at the drop of a hat—The Star-spangled Banner, flags in parades, Christmas music, soldiers in uniform, watching families reunite at the airport—you catch my drift. I’ve cried watching movies for years—normal crying, not wrenching, emotional sobbing. Anyone who has seen these movies knows that crying like that is not warranted. All I can think is that I must have really had a need to seriously cry.

This is why I always ask if a movie is sad, or if someone dies in it before I go see it. My children know this. They wisely warn me. I try to gauge my emotional well-being and determine whether I should see the movie, or wait and see it another time. (After Ray saw Terms of Endearment, he told me I must never, ever see it under any circumstances.) I don’t mind seeing sad movies; I just need to be prepared.

5 comments:

  1. Mine are "Goodbye Mr. Chips" and "7 Pounds." I can barely let Matthias see me cry like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's a wonderful Life" pries tears from my husband's eyes every year. He loves it, so I love it. For a true, tearjerker holiday movie I like The Bishop's Wife with David Niven and Cary Grant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your "crying binge" takes on the movies! I haven't seen the Sandra Bullock one, but can't wait, it looks like it would be good. I remember the "boot" scene in the Redford movie, and I cried too! Forest Gump got me when he meets his son. Haven't been a fan of "It's a Wonderful Life", I get bored easily by the black and white film.

    I do love Mr. Krueger's Christmas, that makes me cry.

    Have you seen the movie "UP?" I loved it, Wendell said it's the sadest thing he's ever seen, I just kept telling him to keep watching, that the message was sweet. He still reminds me it was the sadest thing he's ever seen! :)

    Love the PURPLE header!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane and I obviously come from the same genes. I too will cry at a man in uniform, a patriotic song, reunions, and at any group that gets together to "do a good deed". Many of times I have sat quietly in the back of my living room crying at a movie that nobody else finds sad. Of course I am usually in a room of men, so that may make a difference. There are some movies I will never see- especially if it involes children dying or getting hurt. Sometimes it just brings too much heartbreak at a time when real live is challenging enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one of the gifts of the spirit, Diane. I think it's in the Book of Mormon. It's called the gift of tears!!! :) I have it, too. So does my friend Kathy in Big Bear. All we have to do is look at one another and the tears start to flow.

    I think this is why my mother taught to never, ever, go anywhere without a tissue in my pocket or purse!

    When are the Crazy Ladies getting together again?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think!