Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

My sister-in-law Amy read this book then called me to see if I'd read it. I had not. She told me I needed to hurry and read it.

I did hurry to request it at the library, but it took a little while to get it. Then things like a cruise and other life events slowed me down in getting started. But I finally got to it.

I loved the first twenty or so pages - there are tons of fabulous quotable lines about books and reading. I kept thinking I should get my book journal and jot them down (unfortunately, I didn't).

After that I settled down and got into the story. It's a Gothic tale, with lots of twists and turns. It certainly kept my attention once I started it. I did feel like it wrapped up a little quickly - almost like the publisher said, "okay, you've hit your page limit." Or the author was tired of the story and decided to just finish it as fast as possible so she could move on to her next project. But by the same token, I was ready to have it wrapped up by then myself, so maybe that's not a fair criticism. Overall, I liked the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think!